At the start of the book Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Dr Brené Brown, she refers to 10 Guideposts to Wholehearted Living. These 10 guideposts are what the Wholehearted people “…work to cultivate and what they work to let go of” in their lives (p.9). Apparently they are referred to in more detail in the book The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are.
What are the 10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living by Dr Brené Brown according to the research? They are as follows –
- “Cultivating Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think
- Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting Go of Perfectionism
- Cultivating a Resilient Spirit: Letting Go of Numbing and Powerlessness
- Cultivating Gratitude and Joy: Letting Go of Scarcity and Fear of the Dark
- Cultivating Intuition and Trusting Faith: Letting Go of the Need for Certainty
- Cultivating Creativity: Letting Go of Comparison
- Cultivating Play and Rest: Letting Go of Exhaustion as a Status Symbol and Productivity as Self-Worth
- Cultivating Calm and Still: Letting Go of Anxiety as a Lifestyle
- Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting Go of Self-Doubt and “Supposed To”
- Cultivating Laughter Song and Dance: Letting Go of Being Cool and “Always in Control”” (p.9).
One thing I enjoyed about her guideposts, is Brené indicates you cultivate and practice them. If you had to look at your own life, what would you be out of 10? For me, today is a little different than a few years ago, when I may have been 2 or 3!
If you would like to read more about them please have a look at the book The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are.
If you are ready to reclaim your courage and take the next step towards freedom and opening your heart, why not join our Toolkit?
Brown, B. (2012). Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. New York, USA: Penguin.
Also, if you would like to read more about Dr Brené Brown, please visit –
- Brené Brown – The Price of Invulnerability
- The Power of Vulnerability
- Dr Brené Brown on Joy: she says “It’s Terrifying!”
- Engaged Feedback Checklist by Dr Brené Brown
- Vulnerability is…
- The Daring Greatly Leadership Manifesto by Dr Brené Brown
- Listening to Shame
- The Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto by Dr Brené Brown