Following are a variety of resources on mindfulness and compassion in sport. As a retired professional tennis player, this space is definitely a passion of mine!
I hope you find the resources useful and if you have a resource that you think would be a useful addition to this list, please contact us here.
Following are some relevant books on mindfulness and self-compassion...
- Bervoets, J. (2013). Exploring the Relationship between Flow, Mindfulness and Self-Talk: A Correlational Study. Master’s Thesis in Sport and Exercise Psychology. Department of Sport Sciences, University of Jyväskylä. 45p.
- Atchley, A. (2011). An Examination of the Effects of Mindfulness and Task-Relevant Attentional Focus on Running Performance. Masters Theses & Specialist Projects. Paper 1069.
- Thompson, R., Kaufman, K., De Petrillo, L., Glass, C., Arnkoff, D. (2011). One-Year Follow-up of Mindful Sport Performance Enhancement (MSPE) with Archers, Golfer and Runners. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 5, 99-116. - this paper investigated the long-term effects of mindful sport performance enhancement (MSPE), a program designed to improve athletic performance and psychological aspects of sport.
- Bernier, M., Thienot, E., Codron, R., & Fournier, J. (2009). Mindfulness and Acceptance Approaches in Sports Performance. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 4, 320-333. - this article discusses two studies - interviews with elite swimmers and the second with young elite golfers. Study 1 showed that optimal performance, or “flow,” states reveal similar characteristics to mindfulness and acceptance states. In Study 2, mindfulness and acceptance were integrated into a psychological skills training program for seven young elite golfers and contributed to enhancement in performance.
- Beina, S. (2008). Mindfulness and Sport Participation in College Students. Senior Honours Thesis. - the purpose of this study was to examine levels of mindfulness among athletes versus non athletes as well as examine whether differences in mindfulness exist between individual sport
athletes and team sport athletes.
Brown, K.W., & Ryan, R.M. (2003). The Benefits of Being Present: Mindfulness and Its Role in Psychological Well-Being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84(4), 822-848.
"Great! Thanks. I feel positive to continue on my life journey knowing what I can work on to continue to have success in life." - School Principal
"Can see myself using all of these skills. Great leadership and facilitating a comfortable/safe space Jane." - Teacher, Brisbane
Click here to read more.
5 Ways to Reduce Distractions November 26, 2020
Benjamin Franklin's 13 Virtues of Life November 22, 2020
5 Ways to Increase Self-Trust November 9, 2020
Shadow Comforts vs Self-Care - What's the Difference? November 8, 2020
Time to Lighten the Stress Load? October 25, 2020