Why Emotional Literacy?
Emotional literacy is the building block of emotional intelligence. Subsequently, when we develop our own emotional literacy we can access and develop important information about ourselves and others and process emotional weight (i.e unresolved emotions).
The World Economic Forum indicated that emotional intelligence will be in the top 10 required skills individuals require to thrive by 2020. There are many other reasons, both professional and personally, of why emotional literacy is important, including -
- knowing yourself better,
- being able to better adapt to and cope with change,
- building high performing teams,
- increased employee engagement,
- executing performance effectively and efficiently, and
- developing trust and empathy within relationships.
What is Emotional Literacy?
Just as learning to read and write begins with literacy of letters and sounds, learning to interpret and manage feelings begins with emotional literacy. The term "emotional literacy" was coined by Claude Steiner in 1979 and has ventured a long way since then.
Two definitions of emotional literacy are -
"To be emotionally literate is to be able to handle emotions in a way that improves your personal power and the quality of your life and - equally important, the quality of the life of the people around you. Emotional literacy helps your emotions work for you instead of against you." ~ Claude Steiner
"... lets us sort out all of those feelings, name them and begin to understand their causes and effects. It is the basic building block of emotional intelligence." ~ Joshua Freedman.
What Will You Learn?
Specifically you will learn -
- how to recognise your own thoughts, feelings and values (and how they influence behaviour),
- discover your own abilities (i.e. strengths and limitations),
- how to start to successfully regulate thoughts, feelings and behaviours,
- ways to effectively managing stress and control impulses,
- how to motivate yourself to set and achieve goals,
- ways to communicate clearly by listening well and engaging in the conversations,
- how to seek and offer help when required, and
- ways to develop a growth mindset.
How does Untangling Emotional Literacy work?
The Untangling Emotional Literacy course is about developing awareness and enhancing the skills within emotional literacy.
We go for 4 weeks and the next course starts on Tuesday November 3 - 24 @ 6pm - 7pm QLD, Australia Time. Click here to change to your time zone. Or if you would like another time, please contact us here.
An outline of the four weeks follows -
Week 1 - Developing Emotional Literacy Knowledge and Skills
This week our focus is -
- Setting intentions for the 4 weeks,
- What is emotional literacy?
- The benefits of emotional literacy,
Recognising your own thoughts, feelings and values (and how they influence behaviour),
Knowing your own abilities (i.e. strengths and limitations),
- Developing a growth mindset.
Week 2 - Developing Self-Management Knowledge and Skills
This week our focus is -
What is self-management?
The benefits of self-management,
Being able to successfully regulate thoughts, feelings and behaviours,
Effectively managing stress and control impulses, and
Motivating yourself to set and achieve goals (if you choose to).
Week 3 - Establishing Emotional Literacy and Self-Management Knowledge and Skills to Develop Self-Trust
This week our focus is -
What is self-trust?
The benefits of self-trust,
- Enhancing stress awareness,
Applying emotional literacy and self-management to respond to excessive stress,
Developing personal strategies to promote restoration and resilience.
Week 4 - Embedding Emotional Literacy and Self-Management Knowledge and Skills in to Life
This week our focus is -
Building emotional literacy in to your life,
- Growing self-management in your life,
- Monitoring stress loads within life,
- Practising and embedding personal strategies to enhance stress awareness and management, and
- Ways to seek extra support.
When you join Untangling Emotional Literacy, you'll benefit from -
Personal Growth and (Un)Learning
As you participate and engage in Untangling Emotional Literacy, you will discover additional self-worth and evolve as a person. By consciously focusing on you and the changes you want to make, you can continue to grow, learn and reconnect to your own inner wisdom.
No longer will you feel like you are trying to learn about learning by yourself (and try to learn something it is not)! In Untangling Emotional Literacy, you will receive simple and practical insights from an experienced and certified teacher / coach.
Practice, Practice, Practice...
The key to life is paying attention and being present. Yes, this can be challenging. On the surface, it can appear easier to bolt and run away (don't worry I have done that many, many times), however in the long run it doesn't work. This is why we are going to continually practice coming back to focus on yourself and your needs.
Wisdom & Flow
There may be days in your career, life or business when you do not have very much energy. However, when you stop and reconnect with your heart, you can start to trust your own inner wisdom and flow within.
Encouragement and Support
You will have encouragement from Jane. When was the last time someone gave you genuine support and celebrated you? In Untangling Emotional Literacy, we want to share your successes, no matter how big or small they may seem!
What Will You Receive in Untangling Emotional Literacy?
Following are the inclusions for Untangling Emotional Literacy. You can access the course here to see a more detailed version of the inclusions.
Who is Untangling Emotional Literacy for?
Untangling Emotional Literacy is for you if you -
- are ready to learn more about emotional literacy,
- would like to start practising emotional literacy (instead of just talking about it),
- are ready to give yourself permission to feel and explore your emotions,
- want to learn ways to deal with stress effectively,
- build a grounded sense of self-confidence and self-worth,
- are ready start to untangle from draining habits,
- want to learn in a group that is practical and grounded in research and education, and
- are ready to keep growing and (un)learning about your true self.
Frequently Asked Questions
Don't worry, I know technology can be challenging and frustrating, so I have made it simple and easy to participate. Do you currently have -
- an e-mail account?
- can access the internet?
- access to a reasonable internet connection?
Yes - Great! You will be able to participate in the Untangling Emotional Literacy Course!
Of course you can. That is one of the reasons why the Untangling Emotional Literacy course is online, so it opens up access to as many people as possible!
Why I created Untangling Emotional Literacy...
Hi - I am Jane Taylor - let me share a little bit about why I wrote the Untangling Emotional Literacy course.
Since becoming a registered Health and PE Teacher in 2011, I have been passionate about the personal development, self-awareness and the emotional aspects of learning. I could see how applying this information and practising the skills could support people lead a fulfilling and meaningful life. Whilst I was working in a National Mental Health and Wellbeing project, this passion developed and I discovered a number of people were doing this work, so it continued to ignite my passion.
Over the years, I continued to develop my own skills as my own emotional literacy was a big growth area for me. During this time, I continued to write and develop projects and share many resources during that time. Now it is time to share this work. Subsequently...
Untangling Emotional Literacy is a four-week distance-learning course for womxn who are ready to develop their knowledge and skills in emotional literacy in a safe and supportive online environment for their own personal and professional self-leadership.