Emotional Intelligence Assessments
The scientific definition of emotional intelligence comes from Drs. John Mayer, Peter Salovey, and David Caruso:
"Emotional intelligence refers to an ability to recognize the meanings of emotion and their relationships, and to reason and problem-solve on the basis of them. Emotional intelligence is involved in the capacity to perceive emotions, assimilate emotion-related feelings, understand the information of those emotions, and manage them."
At Habits for Wellbeing, we use the Six Seconds Emotional Intelligence Assessments (SEI). Whilst there are several well-validated measures of emotional intelligence, that aim to “diagnose” levels of ability or competence, SEI is unusual in its focus on putting emotional intelligence into action.
The SEI was first published in May 2005 and is now in its third edition of continuous research and improvement. As of publication, over 100,000 individuals have used the SEI in 11 languages and over 127 countries. Clients using the tool include FedEx, HSBC, BMW, Intel, Komatsu, and Qatar Airways.
The SEI assessment frames emotional intelligence in the context of important life and work outcomes. In other words, it measures emotional intelligence as applied to a practical purpose. There are 4 key outcomes, referred to as ‘Success Factors’, each with two sub-factors, or “Pulse Points” -
- Wellbeing – capacity to maintain optimal energy and functioning,
- Quality of Life – capacity to maintain balance and satisfaction,
- Relationships – capacity to build and maintain networks, and
- Effectiveness – capacity to generate results.
Types of SEI Emotional Intelligence Assessments
The SEI toolset includes a number of self-assessment for ages 18+ reports and profiles. You choose which one would be most relevant to you and your circumstances based on the purpose of the assessment. Four of the assessments are -
- Unlocking Emotional Intelligence (UEQ) Profile: provides insight into K-C-G strengths and opportunities,
- Strengths Report (SR): summarises the test-takers’ top three emotional intelligence strengths providing feedback on how to apply and use these strengths. The SR is suited to situations when no debrief is possible, introductory audiences, audiences in particularly challenging circumstances or for strengths-based coaching.
- Development Report (DR): provides reporting on the full Six Seconds Model including interpretations and considerations of the effects of each scale. The DR includes strategies for developing or leveraging EQ competencies. It is suitable for general audiences when a debrief is provided.
- Leadership Report (LR): provides an executive summary followed by a full profile of the full model including interpretations of each score in the context of an organisational leadership position. The LR provides general information on increasing EQ competence and a “snapshot” of leadership performance tied to each score on each competency. It is intended for those in a leadership/management role who are also receiving a debrief from a qualified SEI Assessor.
Applications of the Emotional Intelligence Reporting and Profiling Tools
There are many applications for the SEI Reporting and Profiling Tools, including -
- Increasing individual self-awareness and leadership capacity and capabilities,
- Growing communication and people-skills within an organisation,
- Effectively Managing Emotions During Performance for Athletes,
- Maximising effectiveness and efficiency within individuals and teams,
- Supporting leaders to navigate through uncertainty and change,
- Developing emerging leaders for future leadership roles,
- Helping managers align individual strengths to roles within teams,
- Preparing emerging leaders for future leadership roles.
5 Major Advantages of the SEI Emotional Intelligence Assessments
The SEI Emotional Intelligence have the following 5 advantages -
- A Developmentally Focused straightforward model. The model has been created by the experts in learning and teaching EQ. Detailed reports with specific techniques, exercises and strategies. Extensive range of proven curricula and related tools that improve performance.
- Statistically Reliable embedded self-correcting indices increases objectivity. There are strong psychometric properties with best-in-class analysis of over 20 different norm scales used in each assessment. Scores on the SEI predict 50-60% of a combination of Quality of Life, Relationship Effectiveness, Wellbeing, and Personal Effectiveness (based on forward stepwise regression against self-reported outcomes).
- Internationally developed and validated internationally. Six Seconds has offices and partners in over 25 countries. Assessment and reports are available in many languages including Arabic, Chinese, English (US and UK), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Portuguese, Spanish (Latin and European).
- Convenient fully-automated online administration and scoring (paper available). There is also an option for the client to instantly receive report or for consultant (or both).
- Full Range of assessment tools and reports as well as a range of support materials and curriculum.
If you would like to know more about the Emotional Intelligence Assessments or inquire about having them completed in your workplace, please contact us here.